Commercial Insurance in Virginia
There are a variety of factors to consider when conducting business in Virginia but the most important is the types and amounts of insurance a company can carry to protect the financial investment. Without protection, your business can face financial ruin due to a lawsuit or property loss as a result of certain business activities.
Commercial Liability Insurance
Commercial liability insurance financially protects your Fredericksburg, VA business from claims of injury or damage caused by your employees. A commercial liability policy provides coverage for:
- Advertising Injury – covers losses incurred by your company’s advertising.
- Bodily Injury – covers financial damages as the result of physical injuries to another person who is not an employee and damages caused by an employee at a client’s home or work.
- Legal Defense and Judgments – covers the legal costs of defending against lawsuits and judgments up to the coverage limit. This does not include punitive damages for willful misconduct or negligence.
- Personal Injury – this includes slander, libel, invasion of property, wrongful eviction, false arrest or copyright infringement resulting in damages to a person’s rights or reputation.
- Property Damage – covers damages to another person’s property by an employee while conducting business.
Virginia Minimum Requirements
Commercial liability insurance is not required for Virginia-based businesses. This is only one of four states that utilize the contributory negligence standard in which a plaintiff’s reward is decreased by their percentage of fault. However, accidents and lawsuits can still occur, so it is critical to invest in enough insurance. While the amount of commercial liability insurance that should be carried differs, a simple rule of thumb is the higher-risk industry, like building trades, or higher volume companies with the general public should carry more insurance.
If your company is in the Fredericksburg, VA area, stop by or call us today at Insurance Piggy Bank. Our knowledgeable experts at Insurance Piggy Bank are waiting to hear from you to help find the best insurance policy that fits the needs of your business and budget.